PAC Reps (Political Action Committee Representatives) are at the core of CREA’s federal advocacy efforts. The PAC Network is made up of active and politically engaged REALTOR® PAC Reps from across the country who are committed to ensuring our industry’s interests are top-of-mind for Members of Parliament (MPs). As REALTORS® know their clients, colleagues and local market well, this makes them powerful advocates.
So, here are five reasons you should thank (or, dare I say, high-five!) your local PAC Rep(s):
- PAC Reps build and maintain strong relationships with their MPs. As the face and voice of your REALTOR® community, PAC Reps bring their industry and community knowledge into discussions with political decision makers. By connecting with their MP at least three times a year, they provide a friendly, constituent face and local perspective on national issues.
- PAC Reps have mounted successful lobbying efforts on behalf of the real estate industry for over three decades. For example, after years of successive lobbying by REALTORS®, the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) was introduced by the government in 1992 as a temporary stimulus measure and was made permanent in 1994. This year, REALTORS® are continuing to advocate for important changes to the HBP. Proposed amendments to the program were even included in both the Liberal and Conservative election platforms last fall.
- PAC Reps show up on Parliament Hill in large numbers. The major focus for participation in federal affairs is the PAC Days conference. PAC Days provides the opportunity for selected PAC Reps to meet with and bring our industry recommendations to their MP on the Hill (remember – meetings with MPs are the most important part of PAC Days). Last year, there were 137 scheduled meetings with MPs in just two days. By showing up in large numbers, political decision makers see the full force of our lobbying efforts.
- PAC Reps are important hubs of CREA’s grassroots network. They relay information and encourage fellow REALTORS® to respond to Calls to Action sent out through the REALTOR® Action Network (RAN)*. PAC Reps also report back to CREA on issues from their meetings with MPs. This information is vital and can help to shape and improve our advocacy efforts.
*If you’re not already a member of RAN, our industry’s online grassroots advocacy platform, please join today!
- High-fives are simply fun!
Think you’re up for the job? Contact your local Board or Association to let them know you’re interested in becoming a PAC Rep. Questions regarding the PAC Network? Feel free to contact CREA’s Government Relations team at PAC@crea.ca.