The Weekly Blend is your ‘weekly’ source covering real estate news that you just may have missed. Our hard at work Weekly Blend crew scours the web, newsgroups and forums looking for obscure, bizarre, interesting and informative real estate (or real estate related) stories. If you have one you’d like to share please feel free to share it in our comments section or tweet about it using the hashtag #WeeklyBlend. So brew yourself a fresh cup of coffee and enjoy these stories…maybe even share them with friends or colleagues. Happy reading!
Here are my weekly picks:
- Mental Floss has 10 things you should do before moving to a new city.
- Shopaholics rejoice! Saks Fifth Avenue has opened its first Canadian location in downtown Toronto.
- Even Barbie is kicking it up a notch and joining the 21st century with this Wi-Fi-enabled dream house … complete with stairs that turn into a slide. (VIDEO)
- As Detroit is revitalized, a startup developer is sharing profits with long-time residents.
- She lives inside a replica of Centre Block inside a downtown hotel. Meet Ellie: a two year old “border-collie mix dog in residence” at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa.
- Nothing to see here except a Japanese ice village that sits on top of a frozen lake. (VIDEO)
- Here’s something to consider: Smoking Can Make or Break a Real Estate Deal.
- Jackie Treehorn’s house: you’ll remember it from The Big Lebowski (a common theme in the Weekly Blend). It has now been gifted to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
- Having a neighbour that wins the lottery could be hazardous to your financial future.
- Little homes in big backyards: Is this San Francisco’s housing solution?
- It’s a bit late for a Valentine’s Day story but this one features a Newfoundland restaurant owner and REALTOR® by day and secret novelist by night.
- These are three ways that climate change is affecting the Arctic real estate market.